Monday, August 29, 2011

~ the dinner that makes me feel like a good mum ~

Princess G's turn to make a request for dinner
And she chose....ta-daaaaa!.....spicy salmon and rice.
One of the dishes I love to make for them because its easy, they love it, and I feel like a good mum. 
(how ridiculous to feel proud that they love and ask for healthy food....but Mondays can be like that)
We have been cooking this regularly for the last 5-6 years.  The girls  used to have just water and a tiny bit of soy with their salmon.  Now they love the spicy fish.  HRH LLJ is not so sure...yet.
It's one of those recipes on the favourites cycle of my limited recipe repetoire.  
We also regularly eat spaghetti bolognaise, lasagna, pasta carbonara,  tomato, mushroom and tuna pasta (spotted a theme here?), a pumpkin risotto, a pea and mushroom risotto, burritos, stir fries and roast chicken.  These are the things I can cook in my sleep and I know they'll eat.  They are meals the Doc and I can bear to eat too (with a tiny tweaking of an added rocket salad or some stir fried vegies).  
No cooking separate meals here (that manifests as Thai or Indian take-away smuggled in under the cover of dark).

How different from what I grew up eating.  I remember lots of grilled chops, grilled sausages, steaks, roasts, ham steaks with pineapple, liver  - -  always with loads of vegies and boiled or mashed potatoes.  We were a classic meat and more veg family.


So here's tonight's dinner:


{spicy salmon and rice}

{pear, rocket and parmesan salad}

And here's how you do it (I think I originally found it in a Delicious magazine years ago):

  • 5 x 100g skinless salmon fillets (conveniently pre-packaged just like this at the Salmon shop in Salamanca)
  • 1/3 cup light soy sauce
  • 1/2 -1 teaspoon ginger from the jar (fresh is best...but so are other meals)
  • 1/3 cup sweet chilli sauce
  • Steamed rice, to serve 

I heat the oven to about 185.  I make little foil envelopes (separate ones for the plain soy and the others) and lightly close them (I open them up just as the fish is about done).  I combine the soy, ginger and sweet chilli sauce, pour it over the fish and then bake for about 10 minutes.
Serve with salad or veggies, drizzle some sauce over the fish and rice and gobble it up.

Huge brownie points for the fish (and the veggies).  
Minus points for the salty soy (it is light).
And clean plates all round.





5 comments:

  1. i'll be back to copy this! sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Iris - at least for the first 100 times or so
    And sooooo easy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could have written that post. Just how it happens at our house! That recipe looks yum! I do a similar one with onions, tomato, parsley, garlic and oil in the foil pouches with the salmon. Yours sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummo I like the sound of that dish, easy and healthy always get a big tick with me.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids would benefit from a diner-bootcamp at your house then. There are always 2 versions of meals at our house, and ours has considerably more nutritional value.

    Denny

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you - in fact it will probably make my day