Thursday, July 14, 2011

~ winter ~

Already it feels like a long, cold winter here on our little island.
Snow, sleet, icy winds, drenching rain....
Winter is when I remember to take my Vitamin D, I think fond thoughts of our life in sunnier WA where it felt like I never wore socks (let alone purple ugg boots) and I plan holidays.
I read books, I make soup and I miss my garden...so sodden, muddy and dull.
Today though the sun made its way through the felted grey clouds and I went for a wander.
I pruned a couple of roses, pulled out some stinky onion weed and I found treasures.


 ~the first little grape hyacinths (with their frilly bloomers)


 ~hellebores thriving in the back corner where we quickly thrust them all as the builders moved in


~ the last of the snow drops


~climate change jonquils (surely they're getting earlier)


And I dream about spring.

4 comments:

  1. Grape hyacinths with frilly bloomers, made me grin. Widely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I really love those little grape hyacinths too! *sigh* I do really wish for a cooler climate garden.
    I just saw word games in your "about me". We are currently having a Bananagrams phase - have you played? So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tania - grins are good - wide ones better!

    Hey Sue - land's cheap here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh such beautiful flowers, i'm really enjoying the difference in the flowers blooming here in Brisbane versus the ones at home in Canberra in Winter, love Posie

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you - in fact it will probably make my day